To people regularly browsing the internet for hearing amplifiers often (that’d be me), the Otofonix Helix looks quite familiar. The setup of a pair of BTE hearing amplifiers with a sleek charging base is rapidly gaining popularity - on this website, the Neosonic MX is one of my … [Read more...] about Otofonix Helix Hearing Amplifier Review
Behind the Ear Hearing Aids
Hearing aids come in different configurations, but Behind the Ear (BTE) hearing aids are the standard configuration. For most people, when they think of hearing aids, they envision this type. As the name suggests, a BTE hearing aid is tucked behind your ear, so it’s not very visible (although that can depend on the size). The microphone(s) on the device capture sounds, which are amplified and then transported through a hollow tube into the ear canal.
BTE hearing aids come in different sizes. Newer models tend to be smaller. Most hearing aids have controls on the devices, which allow you to adjust the volume and other settings.
Advantages of BTE Hearing Aids
- Versatile - most hearing aids use this configuration, and these hearing aids often have the most extensive features.
- Subtle - just how subtle the BTE hearing aids are, depends on the model (and your hair or skin tone, for example). In general, especially smaller BTE models are rather subtle.
Disadvantages of BTE Hearing Aids
- Feedback when adjusting volume or listening mode - because you need to reach behind your ear to make adjustments, your cupped hand can cause feedback (a high pitch ringing noise). Most models combat feedback, but it can still pose a problem. App-controlled hearing aids help with this problem, too.
- Lesser quality - although the sound quality of these hearing aids is great, a similar setup (the RIC hearing aids) have a qualitative edge.
BTE Hearing Aid Models
Most normal hearing aids are those hearing aids. In fact, hearing aids usually have this configuration, unless indicated otherwise. The best current models include:
- MDHearing VOLT MAX - a great example of how many features these hearing aids can hold. The VOLT MAX combines the most features for a good price.
- Neosonic B10 - the best budget model on this website is also a BTE model.
- Otofonix Sona - the Otofonix Sona gives you a smart rechargeable hearing aid for a great price.
Otofonix is perhaps the biggest brand in hearing amplifiers. With the Elite, Encore, and Helix, this brand has delivered two top-shelf amplifiers and an affordable option. Now, the Otofonix Sona has been added to Otofonix’ catalogue. This new amplifier fits a recent trend in … [Read more...] about Otofonix Sona Hearing Amplifier Review
The MDHearingAid AIR is the best-selling model for MDHearingAid, with half a million hearing aids sold. This company follows a familiar pattern in the growing direct-to-consumer hearing aids market. These hearing aids provide a few-sizes-fit-many solution that allow you to skip a … [Read more...] about MDHearingAid AIR Review
When it comes to hearing amplifiers, there are a few different types to choose from. Each of these hearing amplifier model types have their own characteristics. Some people clearly prefer one type over the other, where others look more at the all-round picture and make a buying … [Read more...] about Different Types of Hearing Amplifiers
October 2021 update: the ZVOX VB25 has disappeared without a trace from the ZVOX website. I asked the company, and they informed me it won't be coming back. For your convenience, I'm leaving the review online, but if you're looking to buy a comparable product, I have the … [Read more...] about ZVOX VB25 Hearing Aid Review